Socorro Lodge No. 9 was chartered on December 21, 1882 as the ninth Masonic Lodge in what was then the railroad town of Socorro, New Mexico Territory, under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of New Mexico. This was just over 5 years after the Grand Lodge was formed on August 7, 1877.
The masonic lodge was formed by the masonic citizens of Socorro who, having an interest in their town growing and prospering, also supported starting the School of Mines in 1889. The School of Mines is now known as New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology (New Mexico Tech), and since 1961 Socorro Lodge has been located across from the Northeast corner of the campus, by the Skeen Library. Much of the history of Socorro Lodge No. 9 is linked to the School of Mines and continues to be a part of its students, staff, and faculty. The old lodge building still stands in Socorro’s historic plaza and the Square and Compasses can still be seen.
The members of Socorro Lodge are actively involved in academic scholarship programs, supporting local youth reading programs, and other civic and charitable projects.