HISTORY OF BENT LODGE #42
• The first Taos Lodge was chartered before the Civil War as part of
Grand Lodge of the State of Missouri; tensions arising from the War
between the States caused the Lodge to go dark.
"SIT LUX ET LUX FUIT"
(Let There be Light, and Light There Was)
Original Charter of Bent Lodge 204 issued from the Grand Lodge of Missouri in 1860.
A.S. Ferris, Master; Ferdinand Maxwell, SW; Christopher 'Kit' Carson, JW; and Bretheren Ceran St.Vrain, Peter Joseph, John Franciscos.
Bent Lodge was chartered in early 1909 as part of the Grand Lodge
of the Territory of New Mexico.
The first Bent Lodge was located just down the hill from Cantu Plaza. Current Lodge was built in 1960 or 1961 on land donated by the Gusdorf family. Photos of deceased Worshipful Masters are on north wall, living past Worshipful Masters are on south wall. Many Taos streets bear their names; Bent, Albright, Gusdorf, etc.
Lodge Brothers included Taos’ first doctor, first dentist, business leaders, and regular folks; they applied Masonic principles in times of war, during economic upheavals, epidemics, and personal tragedies. The ranks of Masons include many men who have served our country in the military, however, Masonry believes that universal peace is made possible by teaching its doctrine through the Brotherhood of man and the Fatherhood of the Great Architect of the Universe. Most men who have seen war agree that peace through brotherhood ranks among the most worthy of goals.